Praying Simple Prayers
by Michael Mckinley
I find prayer difficult sometimes. It’s not that I don’t feel needy… I spend 95% of my waking day feeling totally out of my depth and unsure of what to do (the other 5% is spent watching SportsCenter, with which I need no help). But even when I feel needy, I often don’t pray.
After all, I’m kind of a manuscript guy… I don’t really do extemporaneous. And so in the moment when I’m talking with someone who’s suffering or trying to love my wife wisely or discipline my children well… I don’t have a carefully prepared prayer available. And so even though we’re supposed to pray without ceasing, I often don’t pray as I should.
But I’ve been really helped by Paul Miller’s book, A Praying Life. In it, he writes:
This small insight has been really helpful to me. Instead of remaining silence because I don’t have the right words, I have found myself praying "Jesus, help me!" throughout the day.